View Single Post
Old 01-19-2016, 07:15 AM

Default Blending FX using Pan on a Stereo Send to 2 Mono Busses/Aux Tracks

Nothing revolutionary, but I just discovered a nice little routing technique that I think has potential, and I thought I'd share.

This will be nothing new to many of you, but myself, I never thought of it before, in my many years of mixing in PT.

The idea is simple: having a stereo send that goes to two mono busses that goes to two aux's with different FX's on them, so you can use the pan on the send to adjust the balance between the two.

One simple application would be, 1 - a short reverb on one aux, 2 - a longer reverb w/predelay on the other. Then any track with a stereo send could have its own balance between the two, easily set with the pan control on its send.

Of course, the FX's could be anything, delays, harmonizers and so on. One could be wider stereo, the other narrower.

To get this to work with two stereo FX's, there is a little detail to remember: the aux's need to be mono. (If the sends go to Bus 1-2, the aux's inputs are set to Bus1 and Bus2.) Then the plugins inserted must be able to be mono-to-stereo.