View Single Post
Old 01-12-2017, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Apollo 8 Quad DSP performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonetl View Post
Hi all, I am wondering for those of you running the Apollo if there is any tuning you do or suggestions on maximizing DSP? I am new to the system and have been watching many tips and tricks videos and was playing around with the Neve 1073 on my drums and it was sounding nice. I did notice DSP went way up and with maybe 6 plugins I got the DSP disabled message. I have a free quad satellite coming and that will certainly help but I couldn't help but wonder if I should have maxed that out with just half a dozen of these loaded in my inserts. I'm watching a lot of videos where they have way more loaded and don't know if its specific to the plugin or they know some tricks I don't. That got me to wondering if I should be tuning my mac and PT12 to better optimize my performance during playback etc. I just upgraded to a new 6 core Mac Pro with 32gb ram and 1tb new ssd and that is barely impacted. Is there anything specific I could do to get more out of that? My Satellite is scheduled for Sat but I doubt Ill see FedEx home til Tuesday at this point which is a bummer. Curious what you all think and do. Peter
The Neve 1073 is quite heavy on the DSP, there is not a lot you can do about that. Myself I have an Apollo 8 Quad, Apollo Twin Duo and an Apollo Quad Satellite, and even I rarely use them. I find that for drums I tend to use the SLL Channel. Black knobs, roll up high end. You get a good punch sound. If you want some more warmth, use the brown knobs.

I too love the Neve 1073, but it's used quite sparingly, Vox, sometimes, snare.

Computer: Custom Built PC
Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus Z270X-Gaming 7
CPU: i7 7700k
MEM: 16GB Corsair Vengance DDR4 3000
GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080Ti Extreme
DAWs Pro Tools 12.7.1
Interface: Universal Audio
Preamps: Focusrite, Universal Audio
Outboard Processors: Universal Audio
Control Surfaces: AVID S3, Pro Tools | Control + Pro Tools | Dock