View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 01:26 PM

Default Re: TDM support in Pro Tools 11 petition.

The need of the company (avid) and the need of a vast majority of customers (which I am part of) is for PT to move forward with the new formats and the new hardware without it being crippled by the old coding and the limitation that the current version (PT 10 ) currently have. So yes that means that the next version of PT must be a new one completely. New codes, no more TDM/RTAS, 64 bit memory access for VI's, better tools for MIDI and more Audio tools that have been requested.

Any company that stagnates instead of moving forward will eventually die, so while I understand that people have made huge investments, I know I have, the company (Avid) has to move on with newer products (HDN/HDX/AAX) hardware based, since they are a hardware company and that's where they make most of their money. To ask avid to keep pushing forward the life expectancy of TDM is only asking avid to die in the long run.

PT 10 is the transition. There's no need for a PT 11 transition boat with TDM/RTAS in it. If you can't keep up stay with what you have, there's nothing wrong in that. But for those of us who needs the things that is presently being crippled due to old coding, we want to move forward, and our percentage compared to those who wants to stay back in the old age, are probably far greater.

Could a third party make a bridge? who knows, maybe, maybe not and I suspect there's some pretty hard limitation in the coding it self that would prevent that. If they can, then go for it. But it's not on the shoulders of Avid to provide that one bit. What Avid needs to do is keep going forward. They provided us with a great means of transitioning to the new hardware. It's up to us to take it if we can or not, not to Avid to keep coming up with alternative for their 11 years old hardware and 22 years old coding to keep going.

So if you want a wrapper, go to those who have the experience in making them, and put pressure on them.

Wave-T.com