View Single Post
Old 03-12-2018, 05:32 AM

Default Re: Buzzing Fly Guitar Tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
The Beatles were the first to go outside the usual usage of console hardware in the studios which really riled the white coats (yes back then the British recording engineers wore white coats) and they had strict rules about what could and couldn't be done. According to this article from 'The Beatles Bible' https://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/savoy-truffle/ they overloaded the front end of the console with not just one but two 'high gain' amps to get George's sound.

The Beatles were also one of the first to go outside the 'normal' bounds of eq usage as well.
Holy ****e! Think I just found a new favorite website (well, you did actually)!

That website says the two high gain amps were used to distort the horn section.

I'm pretty sure the thing I read about pitching the guitar to a dentist's drill was a quote from one of the session engineers..

My favorite beatles, in the studio, story has to be the one about John wanting his vocals to sound like he was miles away on the peak of a mountian (I forget which song). To get this he asked to be put in a harness and lowered from said mountain. The insanity of the request, along with the liablility of hanging their cash cow off the edge of a peak, gave birth to the idea of recording his voice thru a Leslie cabinet.