Thread: Windows 8
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012, 08:43 AM

Default Re: Windows 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scadh View Post
I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that I am still running Pro Tools 8 M-Powered on Windows Vista 32-bit. For my simple projects, v8.0.3 is enough (the only new features that I *really* wish I had are ADC and the Channel Strip plug). Even Vista, despite it's reputation, has served me pretty well. However, with the pending October release of Windows 8, I recognize that I'm soon to be two full versions behind the upgrade curve on both my DAW and OS, and that scares me.

I don't expect that there will be many more driver updates for 8.0.3, if any. Do we know yet if a new Windows 8 driver will be released for it at all? I don't want to shell out for a new OS only to find that I'm then forced to upgrade to PT10 (which I cannot afford) because 8.0.3 won't work with it.

However, I would like move from 4gb of RAM to 8gb, but 32-bit Vista does not support it (or even 4, for that matter). At the same time, it seems silly for me to upgrade to Windows 7 now knowing that the new version is just months away. At least I would know that my OS will continue to support my DAW for a good length of time still.

Looking for a recommendation from anyone in the know. Upgrade to Window 7 today or stick it out until October and get Windows 8? Thanks!
If your machine is working fine I wouldn't touch it. I'd wait for Pro Tools 11 and move to Windows 8 then. That should be a significant upgrade for you and you'll make the jump straight into 64bit (hopefully). Also gives you some time to save the cash for it.