View Single Post
Old 12-19-2019, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Heat on a 'freeze track'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
I always Commit my instrument tracks rather then freeze. Using Commit creates an audio track with HEAT available anyway, so there's no need to copy them to another audio track.

Personally, I never use Freeze. I don't like not being able to adjust the inserts (and I just don't like the way it looks! ). Luckily my computer is fast enough that I don't need it - yet.
The whole point is to freeze the VI just when the midi is done, and then with PT's excellent freeze, you still have control of all the inserts, automation and volume levels.. All it does is zero the cpu usage and make the midi clip an audio file in place.. I like how it still shows the midi underneath.

What would make it outstanding is if it could do what live and S1 do, in that you can still copy and paste audio, delete clips, and then unfreeze and the midi re takes the place of the audio, if you need to actually add new notes over it. That would be amazing.

I don't like the workaround of monitoring live into an audio track, as it's subject to the buffer latency, so that one's out..

I think the only way to use heat is to mirror each VI with an audio track below it and just drag and drop the midi (love this feature) and disable the original track unless you need to change the notation, and just work in the audio domain and therefore, use heat!

I recently picked up overloud and softube tape on sale, buying both cost half of what the overloud usually is on it's own, and I love them both, which is really surprising as I usually hate tape plugins (vtm, ozone, tone boosters, many others).. I highly recommend them.. It can also provide another way of working. they are both SO light on cpu, that they could be used on VI tracks, and heat on all the audio tracks.. there is no hard and fast rule that 2 different tape formulas can't be used together in the same song...

Everyone is raving about the IK, and it does sound good, but it's unusable in a realtime situation over a multitrack project, for any cpu.. it's just stupid hungry.. So right now, i'll either bounce to audio and use all heat, or mix it with softube or overloud on the tracks that don't have it.. You can also still place overloud on the heat tracks and only use the console simulation portion to still help give that feeling that the whole mix is going through the same desk at least :)