View Single Post
Old 12-11-2018, 08:15 AM

Default Re: Dealing with fx on various VI's and Mixing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
So, what makes one a "Pro"? Is the amount of money earned? Do you have to be full time? I've often wondered where the line is between Pro and not-Pro. (perhaps this is for another thread!)
Pros make a living at it - AND have fun!!!

Re VI processing: use whatever tool works, whenever you want to. Similar age-old questions: EQ/comp on the way in, or record flat? Print elec gtr with stompboxes and amps or not? Commit now or wait for later? If a patch or processor or effect is essential to the inspiration, then print it whenever/however you get it.

Personally, I like to leave most (not all) processing for the final mix, although I setup sounds constantly while tracking. If the tracking sounds work in the mix, I leave it. If not, I like to be able to tweak it. If you plan to send tracks out for mixing, you might want to send un-processed tracks AND processed tracks and let the mixer choose. No rules, whatever works. My 2 cents!!!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume