View Single Post
Old 07-15-2005, 01:30 PM

Default Re: Does anyone still use punch-in recording?

Quote:
We DO NOT tell our star singers to modify how they are performing to get them on tape...
Amen to that!

Quote:
I don't know where you are located, but in my part of the world (New York City), there is nothing impressive about a skilled engineer... everyone who's working is at least "good". It is EXPECTED that an engineer can do a tight in/out.
Agreed. I was asking as one who has been out of the biz since those good ol' ADAT days. Now, with the "home studio's are killing our business" thing settling down, I am glad to see that engineers are still being respected for thier skills. That was what I was getting at. Only artists who were engineer wannabes really ever noticed this. I know because I was one once upon a time.

Quote:
-- but knowing you have a vocal as it's going down can be a great thing... yes, we accumulate many takes and comp - but going for complete "tracks" -- (that is tracks vs. takes) keeps everyone (talent included) on the same page. We all know what we have as we're doing it.
It's a magical thing to get that perfect take (unless you work with magical talent, then it becomes expected in a way). I'd like to think I am on the same line here.

Quote:
we are simply there to help get it on tape
This has to be the essence of an audio engineer in one sentence. I like it.
Thanks for answering. I hope that more engineers record like this and not overproduce things with too many comps. Comps are great. Comps are very cool. One great take is magic.