View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 07:50 AM

Default Re: Protools vs Sonar or reaper

I have used Sonar (even back when it was Cakewalk). I now use Nuendo and PT9. I still have Sonar 8.5 I also have logic, live, Reason 5, FL, Acid....I can go on. But, I also have a fantom x, a Roland MV-8000 and Jv-1080, Akai MPC3000 ans S2000, Korg Triton, Emu E-64 and more. THEN, I have Komplete, Sampletank, oh heck, too many plugins and softsynths to list. Wont even get into the guitars or other instruments.

Here is the point. All those things are tools. Some of those tools list are almost 20 years old, some a day old (just got the slate VCC for 1/2 off on cyber monday). But these days, the marketing behind these companies make us think we have to have this or that as well as our need to feel like we are a step above (or at least on par) with everyone else. And protools is a clique within a clique. PTHD vs PTHDN vs PTN vs PTMP with everyone wanting to be PTHD and some have sold there kidney to get it, lol!!

The reality is that the craftsman is the master, not the tool. Pyramids werent made with caterpillar tractors nor was Big ben crafter by black and decker. PT10 is more than enough. So is Sonar. So is reaper. One thing I can say about protools is it has the best support community if you have a problem. It also has more training videos and books created for it. That is a huge plus to someone starting out.

If I were to give advice to anyone is to first, you need to know if this is a calling or just something you like to do. Are you good at it? do you have potential? Are you average? If its just for fun, post another topic asking the question what you need to get to make music. If you think you have the goods, then get something you can grow into and I would lean towards a protools rig for compatability and support. I would play with a demo of other software when you can. The best thing you can do is learn the craft of creating music and have fun doing it. If you do that, no matter what you have you will be fine.