View Single Post
Old 07-18-2003, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Why does consolidation &or bouncing tracks=loss of sound quality

Quote:
Originally posted by John Kurzweg:
I suggest any one who is skeptical of this effect try printing a mix of 32 tracks or more of a song that has never been consolidated and then consolidate the tracks and print...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">A more scientific way to do this test is to take a single track with edits, duplicate the track, consolidate the duplicated track. Instantiate a "Time Adjuster" or "Trim" plug on both tracks, and flip the phase on one of them. Then look at the result on a bit scope (Spectrafoo is very effective for this) and observe any bit activity. BTW, you will also need to turn dither off (in other words use the non-dithered stereo mixer instead of the dithered one) or you'll see bit activity in the LSB no matter what.

I have done this test *many* times and in my system, there is no activity down to the 24th bit level, meaning the files are identical. If consolidation does not result in identical files on your system, then you should investigate the possibility of SCSI read errors, or some other system problem.

Best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6