View Single Post
Old 12-20-2013, 04:45 AM

Default Re: Conumdrum: New Mac Pro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
A 2009 2.26 dual quad? SSDs? VI's? Are you running 10 or 11? Are you maxing out voices for your HDX1?

Long story short my guess would be that for the budget you are talking about the 12c would be worth it. It's certainly diminishing returns per dollar, but so is HDX. But when you need the extra and the work is paying for it then it's worth it, and when you need more voices you need more HDX cards.

I understand all the reasons not to go windows, and/or hack, but for 11 especially and even more so for those who don't need the lowest two buffer settings, a dual 12c is going to be an absolute monster...not that I'll be doing it, I like OSX that much more.

My rough guess assuming nothing is flawed with the nMP for audio is that if you go PT10 to PT10 a 12c nMP will be about double the native power at 44.1/128 or 96/256 than the 2.26 8c.
I am running PT 11. I do not use VIs ever, I do strictly post. I can work with a 256 or 512 buffer setting for sgx and sound design, and even longer for strictly mix, but of course I prefer to run 64 buffer and have a responsive machine. I never record music or singers, I only record ADR which is one microphone at the time (actually 3 mics a studio mic a lav and a boom) - so 3 inputs maximum, never more.

I am not maxing the HDX card yet, I am using about 70% but since I just got Revibe, I will be using several instances of Revibe DSP and stop using Native verbs (my machine can not handle any more Native plugs). Once I start using Revibe DSP (on my next film that starts today) , I will max out the HDX card. Also, Nugen ISL will soon be DSP (that is what I heard) so I will be using several instances of it also DSP.

My work is indie films and my last film, which was a sci-fi/horror, used almost all the 256 voices so I am thinking of adding another HDX card to up the voice count to 512. I need a machine that is reliability and fast to boot up.

Windows would be much, much cheaper, As business, it would make total sense to run Windows and save as much as $7000 dollars on hardware (trip to Caribbean instead?) but for me OSX is the way to go (unless I change my mind and go windows purely as a business reason).

Lastly, someone said that Apple may license the OSX to run on a Windows machine legally? any info on this?