View Single Post
Old 12-14-2000, 10:48 PM

Default Re: PC amatuer needs set-up advice, please help

Soundwave,

Don't even try the AMD with PT and digi001. I have an Athlon 550 and couldn't get it to run and I've read LOTS of messages stating the same. I bought a Gigabyte 440bx based board with a PIII 800 and it runs great now. I am VERY frustrated with Digidesign however because their compatibility documents state NOTHING about the Athlon processor nor will they comment on its future support. I think this is a TERRIBLE business practice! They have to know full well at this point that PTLE will not run on the Athlon processor but have refused to add it to their list of unsupported hardware. I also scoured the DUC hoping to find some comment from Digidesign regarding this issue and it is obvious they have gone out of their way to avoid the Athlon issue. I had already checked the compatibility document before making my PTLE/digi001 purchase and assumed (as I'm certain many others did) since they didn't specifically mention the Athlon and did ONLY mention the K6 family that it (the Athlon) must be supported.

I think Digidesign has gotten the idea that there are a LOT of Athlon users out there who would gladly fork over the $$$ for their product but simply aren't in a position to go out and buy another PC.

Hope this helps you avoid a big problem!

[This message has been edited by Locke (edited December 14, 2000).]