View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Can anyone help on this problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
I recently purchased and installed the Focusrite 2i4 I/O. for a while it worked great, no problems. Now I'm starting to get popup indications that all is not well! "Problem detected with audio clock. Check audio clock and sample rate". I have rechecked that I installed the Software and drivers as per instructions supplied by Focusrite and that is ok. I consulted Focusrite's on line problem data base with no results! I have not changed the sample rate in Pro Tools and I don't know how to check this for the 2i4 to see if they match. Isn't the Pro Tools clock set to internal? I don't have a clue as to how to check the 2i4's clock to see if they match. Can anyone help on this? By the way. This doesn't seem to affect anything because clicking to close the popup clears it and I can resume recording but I've experienced so many previous problems with other I/O's I'm afraid that the worst is yet to come!
It sounds like you're experiencing the same issues I had (have) with my Scarlett 8i6. It all has to do with the Mix Control software. If you have the Mix Control set for, say, 44.1k sample rate, and then you open a new session that is at, say, 48k sample rate, then you will get the pop up alert you mention and PT will not run. You need to close PT, reboot the PC and then bring everything back up. That is the ONLY way to do that.

I've gone round and round with Focusrite about this, and even though several others who are using both Focusrite and PT are having the same issue, there doesn't seem to be a solution on offer. Logically you would expect that all you need to do is open the MC program, change the sample rate to match whatever the session is and off you go. But that will not work with PT. I have no idea why that is the case.

You said you haven't changed the sample rate in PT, but you may have opened a session that was in fact at a different sample rate than then the MC program was set for. I've run into this a lot.

And even if I know ahead of time that the next session I want to work on is a different sample rate than currently set, just changing the sample rate on the MC program ahead of opening PT won't do it. You still have to open the session in PT, close it all out, reboot, and then bring it all back up. Its a PITA for sure! The fact is the MC software does NOT interface well with PT...at least as far as making changes to sample rates and clock sources are concerned. I'm told that other DAWs don't have this issue. I don't really know.

The trade off is that the sound of the Focusrite is so good. I've kinda gotten used to it now, so don't think about it much. But, I'm hoping that a new upgrade to the MC program will make it so that it interfaces correctly with PT and you don't have to go through all this.

Disappointingly, the CS person at Focusrite doesn't think the issue is with their software...and AVID sure doesn't think its PT. So there you are!