Thread: Which Mac
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2020, 03:00 AM

Default Re: Which Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
Any reports on how much the fan kicks in while running a big ProTools session?

I heard that it kicks in fairly high and gets pretty loud--is this true?

Can’t comment on large sessions as mine aren’t typically massive, but the fans ramp up on an offline bounce. One would assume it’s using as much CPU as possible when bouncing hence the fan noise.

When I’m doing processes in Izotope RX, the fans go nuts too. I opened Activity Watcher the last time I did an RX render and all cores were pegged, hence the fan noise.

For most of my PT use, I don’t really hear the fans. When they do come on though, they sound louder than the older Minis. I have 5 of these machines, hexa, quads and duals from 2011 onwards. The new Mini definitely sounds the loudest and definitely gets hotter than the others.

TBH, I kinda feel like there’s some software issues with these Minis. Firmware or something. It definitely has a few quirks.

Oh also, BT has been absolute rubbish on all Minis. At first it was said to be bad shielding on the BT chip and the dropouts were exacerbated by USB3 devices. Well, every model I own has terrible BT performance. The studio ones have been the worst though. I even tried external BT adapters that were better at first, but they still had issues. I dunno what the problem is TBH. I just went back to wired keyboards and a Logitech mouse with its own receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk