View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 10:00 PM

Default Re: Record Offset for 3rd Party Hardware? WTF!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamajack View Post
........There is a lengthy post on Gearslutz where SteveBoker reiterates the workaround. See #46 dated 26 Nov 2010 if interested.
ok so I tried this workaround and got back VERY interesting results..in fact bewildering.

HDX card PTHD 10.1, delay comp on, HDX playback driver, IZ ADA converter with SSL HD MADI card = 4 samples late.

HDX card PTHD10.1, delay comp on, RME HDSPE MADI card/3.01 driver via Coax, Iz ADA converter w/SSL HD MADI card = 0 Samples early/late

WTF?!!!!! using the asio driver with the HDX and workaround was dead ON!! But using the HDX driver seemed to be faulty.. it was still 4 samples late!! HUH?!!! tried it over 10x unloading and starting a new project and same results.

Something is definitely broken somewhere.....how is that using the asio driver is dead on for this workaround but the avid hdx driver is not?

I don't necessarily believe that it is just the HDX cards...I got this result with the HD Native card also. I think this is an ADC coding issue.

BTW When I used the Lynx Aurora or the HD I/O 16x16 with the Avid driver (HDX or HD Native)..everything when using delay comp on was good...perfect sample accuracy with a loopback test..UNTIL any VI's got inserted. That's when things began to get all out of wack. If I used regular inserts(delays, reverbs) on audio tracks all good...but VI's really threw the adc and recording new loopback passes with them instantiated off. recording from busses were a few samples off also. I added a few midi tracks and it was all slop! I mean WTF is going on here? I thought perhaps that maybe a certain VI had an issue reporting latency correctly..but whatever VI I threw in ..the same result would become visible. Interesting....it may not be just one concrete issue..it might be something accumulative. Digi support being mum on this...is really not cool as it's evident it's just not an isolated issue.

So while yes i morphed the thread as a result from digging in order to rectify this odd situation...the original issue is extremely valid. We need a Record Offset to allow for fine tuning of ADC for people who need critical professional performance out of their "professional" tools. As a result I'm extremely shocked that Avid are and have been aware of this for over a year and have not done one thing to satisfy what most if not all their competitors see as a "standard" feature. Especially considering the entry fee into HDX just so I can be cool and play ball with the other kids. An entry 11.5k half-assed proprietary system should be able to do what a 500 dollar program does with the added benefit of an under the desk tug and rub with an ego stroke if you ask me. This is just BULL****...I'm being made to feel like Chicken Little here.

on another note: some food for thought: if it's true that some plugs report back incorrect latency figures thereby throwing things off in PT...why do these same plugs in a competitors product work fine and this competitor's ADC is perfectly on point? Never had this issue in C6 or N5..just sayin...

Dennis