View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 08:47 PM

Default Re: We need a Thunderbolt HDX system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Get your fact straight, Apple didn't developed thunderbolt even Apple admits it.

http://www.apple.com/ca/thunderbolt/

The close contribution as apple state they did, is in reality that they suggest and asked intel to use copper fibre instead of optical, since with optical (which was the first idea and was what Intel was working on at the time called light pipe) cannot transport electricity. After that as reported by many tech news agency, all they did was to do the initial (like the link I provided earlier) paperwork filling for the trademarks, which they are now handing back to intel.

source

An further down in the article
Well, if you read it off of Apple's web site, at least they convinced YOU that they didn't develop it. But the truth is Apple did, as a follow up to the Firewire standard that they also created. You can believe what you want, as can I:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/26/e...ntel-could-be/
or
http://www.tuaw.com/2009/09/26/is-ap...ak-connectivi/
Both articles were printed way before the Apple page you referenced. Steve Jobs wanted Intel to "own" the project. There were many reasons for this, but I digress...

The point of my whole thread was to get some of you to start thinking that maybe working with BIG BOXES in a STUDIO is NOT the only way to do things with recording, editing, and creating. The new MacBook Pro Laptops blows away ANY computer used with ANY TDM system of past. Back in those days we all recorded many professional high quality projects that were seen on TV, in the movies, and heard on the radio. These projects usually consisted of a room full of gear with miles of wire and multiple systems to get the job done. Fast forward to today, and we are being handed tools that are readily portable and even MORE powerful than the big boxes of yesteryear. What are we to do? We seem still stuck in working exactly the same way we always did, filling these big rooms with gear to show how "pro" we are. All I am suggesting is an "alternative" way of working by allowing these new mega laptops to be greeted with a front end WORTH their weight in power. I do not think any of the USB 2 or Firewire 800 boxes are valid in this new paradigm. In a year or two we will be having 8 to 12 core laptops. I also think interface boxes without some raw DSP is not worth much. I already have too many of these boxes. I am looking for a High Quality AVID box that is an all-in one portable solution. Why should I put cards in a Magma box and add an interface? From an electrical engineering standpoint the waste of power and duplicate resources for that to happen is just plain silly. Other companies are jumping on the bandwagon I am writing about. Universal Audio is going that route, MOTU has been there for years, Presonus boards have eaten Yamaha's lunch... I think Avid knows there is a market for what I am talking about. I also suspect they already have a design for what I am writing about. I just don't understand the need for some of you to let them off the hook by denying what I see as part of the future of recording...