View Single Post
Old 06-08-2012, 08:23 PM

Default Re: We need a Thunderbolt HDX system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrox View Post
Are you working for Avid? Are you concern about what they are are "wasting" their money on? I am MORE concern with NOT wasting my money filling up ANOTHER studio with big boxes that don't do what I need them to do. If I am going to invest another 15K on Avid gear, wouldn't it be in my BEST INTEREST to buy some "box" that actually did what I wanted it to do (like, a DSP Thunderbolt system every laptop user would love to have) rather than piece together ANOTHER big beige box with cards, wires going to hard drives, wires going to Interface, Big Rack to hold all pieces together, Another fan to keep it cool, a separate room so I don't have to hear that fan and the 3 that are in the Big Computer (Pro! Big because it is PRO!) Wow, did I buy all of the correct stuff, because I need to add my 3rd party plug ins as SOON as they actually GET DEVELOPED! (cricket chirps?!)
Well, that's ONE way of working...
...Or, grabbing my laptop with the DSP box, in my suitcase, off to work on the beach to get my work done.
Change is sometime difficult, I know... Currently we HAVE your way of working. I just think there are some people out their that might want to work the way I want to work...
No I'm not, and the reason I'm concerned about it is pretty simple, why waste money on tech that is already being developed by others, when there much more things to be done with your own software, 64 bit a whole bunch of features that have been asked by the masses and are a lot more important to the majority than developing a thunderbolt box, when there is already solutions for it. Different teams one might say, but global R&D wallet.

I've noticed you said that you weren't going to be held off by boxes. So you're going to mix on the go, sure.. with headphones (cause obviously you wont bring studio grade monitors with you on the beach since you don't want to be tied up to big boxes right?).. err....in places that are potentially very noisy, busy and cramped...errrr. That's good for editing, heck I do it myself for that on a laptop from time to time when I have to. But for that you don't need the power of HDX. It comes back to what I was saying before. You really want to spend that much money on a system and use it somewhere unsafe (beach... subway etc)? Sure you got your logic chip set straight...(cricket chirps?!?).

Oh yeah speaking of cables going to this and that.. well you're still going to have cables going to this and to that.. Cables going to your hdx chassis, cables going to your monitors.. going to external HDD drives.. so you're just replacing different types of cables, by one type of cables. But your video monitors still will need their power supply cables, you're still going to need to daisy chain them with your other devices that use thunderbolts, so that's still one cable per daisy chain. Basically, the only difference in what you're saying is that your using a computer that is.. smaller. Cause none of the rest changes. In fact.. by using thunderbolt the way you suggest.. you end up with more cables laying around.. see, with a tower.. at least you can place the video card inside.. with the hdx card.. with the extra hdd's. While with a laptop.. that's cables and cables laying around. Place it (tower) in a iso booth. and voila no more noise from it nor from your other units. You still can have them at hands reach easily.

Now all of this is pretty much semantics and we could go around arguing about it all week long. Fact is, Avid doesn't have to developed that technology. Magma is, and they are pretty much the best out there for such thing. So much that Avid which had it's own expansions chassis at the time which wasn't very reliable, dropped them and started to recommend Magma for that use. Magma has a product that will be out soon, that will fit exactly what you want, therefore Avid doesn't have to waste it's time developing this, when they could work on other things. It's called prioritizing.

Wave-T.com