View Single Post
Old 06-08-2012, 08:09 PM

Default Re: We need a Thunderbolt HDX system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
That's now a 3u system just to accommodate this still portable but less, and mightily expensive to just enable people to work anywhere. But eh it's their wallets. But that might not be as big a seller as people would think, and maybe not even enough to warrant the R&D. If you remember, there's a video that already shows Avid using thunderbolt for their HDX system, but it doesn't include the I/O box, and it's not Avid who's developing it. But the OP wants avid to develop essentially an uber Omni system that would incorporate HDX card or cards with thunderbolt. So while it's his money to risk, he can already do it if he uses a magma chassis and an omni. Avid doesn't have to waste money on developing this.
Are you working for Avid? Are you concern about what they are are "wasting" their money on? I am MORE concern with NOT wasting my money filling up ANOTHER studio with big boxes that don't do what I need them to do. If I am going to invest another 15K on Avid gear, wouldn't it be in my BEST INTEREST to buy some "box" that actually did what I wanted it to do (like, a DSP Thunderbolt system every laptop user would love to have) rather than piece together ANOTHER big beige box with cards, wires going to hard drives, wires going to Interface, Big Rack to hold all pieces together, Another fan to keep it cool, a separate room so I don't have to hear that fan and the 3 that are in the Big Computer (Pro! Big because it is PRO!) Wow, did I buy all of the correct stuff, because I need to add my 3rd party plug ins as SOON as they actually GET DEVELOPED! (cricket chirps?!)
Well, that's ONE way of working...
...Or, grabbing my laptop with the DSP box, in my suitcase, off to work on the beach to get my work done.
Change is sometime difficult, I know... Currently we HAVE your way of working. I just think there are some people out their that might want to work the way I want to work...