View Single Post
Old 02-28-2010, 09:08 PM

Exclamation Problem solved ???Amazing discovery with MBox 2 series and iMac 27 inch i7. NEW !!!

Hi Everyone !!
I think we've got it ... ! I think we've located the problem, at least on our computer. I hope it helps the other ones having this bizzare issue.
Remember the issue with the MacBookPro and MBox ?
Anyway, to make a long story short this is what was happening back then :
- only one USB port next to the power supply socket on the laptop worked efficiently with MBox.
The other USB port on a MacBookPro caused tons of issues with MBox series similar to our current test setup with iMac 27 inch, i7 2.8 GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB HD.
I have noticed tonight by switching USB ports, that MBox 2 mini was plugged into caused the box either work fine, or not at all !!
Namely: you can NOT plug anything into USB port on iMac i7 that is the closest to the headphones input on the iMac.
MBox 2 mini runs fine when it's plugged into USB port the closest to the FW 800 outlet.
At the same time only one or two USB ports that are next to it can be used at the same time by another devices ( in my case iLok, and printer). But never three. All USB outputs CAN NOT be used simultaneously, when MBox 2 series device is plugged in.
If you plug ANYTHING to the USB port closest to the headphones output on iMac, the system suddenly freezes ( not necessarily MBox 2. Can be printer, MIDI interface etc.), and the scary window appears prompting you to restart your computer !!!!
I spend two hours tonight, out of curiosity testing different combinations of USB ports on my newest iMac, and I can corroborate the results here on DUC. ( Normally I use 002 with this setup. MBox 2 mini I use only for the on-the-go recordings with MacBookPro)
So, once again : the issue with iMacs and MBox 2 series in my opinion is similar to the USB issue with MacBookPro and USB ports there. Most likely it has nothing to do with BlueTooth, or AirPort ( or combination of both).
The friend of mine who is a pro in computer binary systems says, that it is a combination of digital issue, and power supply efficiency for USB ports, while simultaneously utilizing multiple outputs on one computer.
I hope it helps !
Sincerely,
Chris7514
P.S. DIGI , I am expecting to see your professional comments regarding my post, regarding the issue I just discovered tonight with this particular setup.