View Single Post
Old 03-19-2019, 05:49 PM

Default Re: I had it with MBox 3 Pro drivers. Please suggest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarabozo View Post
I went into the RME website. Pretty confusing to me, as I'm not familiar with wha MADI, AES/EBU, etc. are. The thing is it seems like I need to know what to get because they're not precisely stand alone interfaces. Any recommendations on what I should get from RME to be up an running with, let's say, 16x16 I/O?
16x16 what IO? Analog line level. You can look at the FireFace UFX+ or UFX II which is a 12x12 line level analog. RME does a lot of digital and mixed analog/digital stuff. That is really their thing. Lovely multi-format digital converters and interfaces etc.

As for MADI, and Dante, and AVB, if you needed any of those you would know what they means, but you can always Google them if curious.

But AES/EBU... you should Google that and learn what it means (essentially the pro-version of S/PDIF). Ditto for ADAT and SMUX if you are not sure there. And with many higher-end interfaces you may be connecting your Eleven Rack via AES/EBU.

And yes Apollo is certainly something to look at. But watch out for the x8p which does not have AES/EBU or S/PDIF for your Eleven Rack (kinda the reverse of RME, UAD is not always great with digital connectivity), the x8 has S/PDIF out/in. With all the more pro-vendors you are hopefully paying for ongoing support and software quality. I don't think the of the Apollo hardware as being expensive for what you get... I think of it more as a razor/razor blade model and they get you on plugin pricing if you get hooked on UAD plugins. Hard to know without comparing specific models, but RME stuff is not bargain priced either... it's quality stuff.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 03-19-2019 at 08:31 PM.