View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Room Calibration - ATSC Standards - Help

Thanks guys, I think I've got it but needed clarification.

Tom, your right, this is a TV spec. I'm mostly mixing shorts which will or will not be shown in a theater (probably via DVD) and most definitely online. If I was in a larger room, I'd still probably hold the monitor level at around 80, just because my clients are gonna want less dynamic range and a little hotter signal.

I've used the ATSC spec to calibrate, Tom your right on the pink noise, it does register higher peaks, but that's not what I'm looking at, I'm looking at a mono RMS value that sits exactly at -20dbfs per channel, which is what the paper called for and what I'm getting. Also, the 003 volume knob I'm referring to here is NOT digital. Because the 003 is meant as an all in one box for the home studio, it offers 2 headphone outputs and a volume control output to monitors. It also offers a secondary main output as well. I think it's great for convenience. But it most certainly is analog.

When you guys say -27 to -31 is about right for Dx, then that makes me feel better, because that's where it feels right when I measure it on the Durrough. That ATSC speech file plays very hot, and while I understand it might be for a dub stage, I can't figure out how this is different. If say, I calibrate my monitors to 80, I hear a volume level that registers at that level. If I calibrate a dub stage to 80, that level should remain consistent. Of course more juice is being pumped through the dub's speakers to get a reading of 80 at the mix position, but never-the-less it should remain the same.

So why then would the spec call for the vocal sample to be adjusted to desired level in a calibration test? I thought all measurements are supposed to got through full scale.

Am i understanding you guys right? If you played this vocal file in your rooms, it would register quieter?

Marti, you say I should adjust to 82, but for my room volume they say 76 is where I should stay at. I'm happy with the figure, and need to mix something and take it to a stage somewhere for a quick test. I'm up for changes, but just want to get it all right.. youknow.

-mike