Thread: HDX vs Native
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2019, 07:36 AM

Default Re: HDX vs Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
you can test it yourself.. one plugin might behive nicely on DSP and have thousands of samples of native latency

so remove f'ex all MCDSP from the mixer and see how much the latency changed. i have no idea which plugin it is but should not bring roundtrip to +10ms
Janne, I'll try that when I get another chance to play around. But it doesn't change the fact that on HDX I can throw plugins around with gay abandon regardless of what they are - as long as they're DSP - and my latency doesn't increase, and the pressure on the buffer size setting doesn't increase. And I can introduce any number of subgroups etc. This session had 29 tracks in record, 8 auxes, plus the cue feeds, monitoring etc.

On this particular session it might not have been such a big deal (four trombones, four trumpets and five saxes make so much noise anyway!) but on other sessions the band really seems to appreciate getting a semi-produced sound through their cans. It makes them feel good about what they're playing so I'm always rough-mixing as I go, even as the recording progresses. I suppose everyone does this.
Apple Mac Pro 6,1 late 2013 2.7Ghz 12-Core Xeon E5, 64GB RAM, D500 Graphics, OSX Monterey 12.7.1/Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12/Presonus Quantum 4848 Thunderbolt 2/Digidesign C|24/Focusrite ISA430 MkII/SPL GoldMike