View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Quad core CPU with PT10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlights View Post
It does, generally - yes. There is some question about whether it fully supports hyperthreading (a core appearing as more than one - my i7-920 shows up as "8" threads in PT10).

The best advice from these pages is to set the Playback Engine to use 1 less (only 3, if you have 4 cores) for PT 10 itself, leaving a core to handle the OS housekeeping, so that PT and the OS conflict less.

Others here know MUCH more than me. I'd wait for them to chime in too (they may want to know exactly which chip and motherboard, for example - that's out of my league).
Regarding using 1 less core, its really a system by system setting. Some will benefit, and others won't. You should try it both ways(and consider, if PT shows 8 cores, actually try 6 as each of those 8 cores is really half, so freeing a complete core would be a setting of 6 instead of 7). Just open the biggest session you have and see what the CPU(RTAS) meter does at each of the settings(it should be fairly obvious). FWIW, on my i7 systems(920 and 950), both give me the best performance with all 8 cores for PT, but I know that others are getting better results with less cores(but their systems are somewhat different).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave