View Single Post
Old 09-16-2019, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyduck View Post
Thanks, man. Any reason not to format the clone drive? It’s 2 TB and the drive I am cloning only has about half a terabyte on it.
Not that I can think of. You want to do this. exFAT is not going to help you. But to be clear... for all I know CCC may automatically want to create an APFS container if it sees exFAT on the drive... I'm not sure exactly what it will do in that case but I just wanted to make sure you got started from an ideal starting position.

Having a clone drive larger than the drive you are cloning is very good. With CCC set up how I said it will never delete stuff on the clone drive, even if you delete it on the MBP and then make a CCC update... so the clone will keep slowly growing in size, with stuff you have deleted hidden away out of sight, will never get smaller until it gets near running out of space and then CCC may prune old deleted stuff. Even with all that extra stuff hidden there the clone will still boot and be usable as if it was the original drive.

As with previous HFS+ you can live change the "partition" sizes on a disk later on if you want to, e.g. add another partition for other purposes etc. But with containers you can do other party tricks. It uses over provisioning.... so that multiple partitions can be bigger than they initially consume on disk, and they all share the same free space so you don't need to worry about getting partitions perfectly sized ahead of time.