View Single Post
Old 03-23-2008, 12:27 PM

Default 7.4 is going in the wrong direction

I recently updated my rig from 6.9.4 to 7.4. What a strange new world Digi have come up with.
Almost everything has changed. In all cases the processes of operation have become vastly more complex. There are many more buffers etc. Options and choices abound everywhere. We have a whole new engine in there for Elastic time, which appears to be similar to GarageBand!
I would like to wave a big red flag to Digidesign.
I have liked ProTools for many reasons.
It is a multitrack recorder with really sophisticated editing.
It is a superb mixing environment.
It's extreme powers can be hidden away until needed.
The resulting screens with complexity hidden are as easy to use as a word processor.

7.4 is a big departure. It is complex. It has many new features which many of us will rarely or never use. It is slow to boot up. It is Bloatware.

Worst of all. IT IS NOT RELIABLE. I am getting -9073 errors on an internal SATA Cuda, newly formatted with few tracks and plugs running.

A working professional needs his tools to work. That is the primary requirement- RELIABILITY.

Digi, clearly you have teams of skilled programmers, who are apparently not getting out much.
They are obviously capable of writing incredible software. However could you focus them for a while on making sure that PT actually works?

I note Logic appears to have gone to Weight Watchers.

Best Regards, Dan FitzGerald AMIOA
www.soundsound.ie