View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 07:56 AM

Default Re: 8 tracks of digital input at 96k possible?

Quote:
To me, tracking and mixing at 96k is the part that is overkill. What are you running for monitors, and is your listening environment professionally designed and treated? Who masters your tracks? If it is not being mastered at a world class facility, then chances are, doing you projects at 96k is a bit overkill.

Are you using the Rosetta for your inputs leading into Pro Tools, or your 002's mic pre's? If you are using the 002 mic pre's then there is reason number 10 that 96k is overkill. They are the noisiest pre's i have heard since listening to a band that recorded a demo through a Behringer mixer.

Are you using the Rosetta only for clocking? or are you using its DA section for monitoring, insread of the Digi's main outs?

The Rosetta is my favorite piece of gear in my studio, and it definitely takes the 002 into "professional land". Owning the Rosetta is not overkill, most probably in your situation running at 96k is overkill. If you are not 100% meticulous about every step of the process being perfect, then operating at such a high resolution is probably pointless.
While you make several good points, the issue of eight-channels of 96kHz using an external converter is mute. It cannot be done.

So the question remains, will the original poster get benefits at lower sample rates?

The answer to that is yes (as a personal opinion), and of course one would use it as the primary input to Pro Tools, requiring some good external preamps to get the full benefit.

The poster also mentioned that he wanted to work out of the box. Does that mean an external mixer or summing amplifier? In either case, given that the external electronic are up to it, monitoring would be improved via the Rosetta.

Even without external mixing, monitoring directly via the Rosetta is an obvious choice.