View Single Post
Old 10-15-2015, 03:30 PM

Default Ring Modulator kind of sound/semi crash

I'm on PT HD 10.3.10, HDX, a 16x16 Avid HD IO and a 192 16in 8out, OSX 10.9.5 (on a Hackentosh).

Everyday about 5-10 times I'm working in a session and all of a sudden, the WHOLE session starts sounding like a feed backing ring modulator of sorts. When this first happened, the only solution I could find was restarting ProTools (not the whole computer). It would go away and then hit me a little later again, often after being AWAY from the computer, i.e. protools only idling.

A week ago I figured out that if I go to playback engine and just change the buffer size from my regular 512 to 256 AND THEN BACK, it would go away, meaning I didn't have restart protools. So I have the workaround, but not the fix.

Even though I use internal clocking over loop sync between the two interfaces, I believe this has something to do with clocking freaking out (I used to get a lot of 9172 error on the same rig but different computer), because I believe the buffer change forces protools to resync all interfaces. This is just a guess.

Anybody see that? And maybe a solution?