View Single Post
Old 12-18-2019, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Mac Mini Connectivity questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven O'Neill View Post
I may be building a new PT rig around a new Mac Mini. I have questions regarding connectivity:

1) My current audio drives are firewire 400 & 800. Will they still work (smoothly) with adapters or should I consider new audio drives?

2) I have an older monitor that has the 9-pin style connector. Is there an adapter available or do will I need to consider a new monitor?

3) I have the original translucent-blue iLok. It’s my understanding it may not work with a new system running PT12. Are they making a new style that fits Thunderbolt ports or would I need some kind of adapter for this as well?

4) From what I can see, the new Minis ship with wireless keyboard and mouse. Do these effect PT performance in any way?

5) I’m going to need a new Interface as I doubt my old firewire Mbox Pro will work w/the new Mini. I’m considering the Zoom TAC-8 (hear me out) and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this unit. What’s appealing is that it has SPDF which will allow me to use my own mic pre via spdf, thereby circumventing the Zoom’s (likely) not-so-good preamps/converters. The Zoom also has MIDI, Thunderbolt, and it a good price…hence my interest.

Thanks to anyone who can weigh in here.
Do yourself a favor and dump all that old dinosaur equipment. Those old firewire drives are slowwwwwwwwww and then some. You'll only be frustrated trying to get any work done. With the new Mini's the internal ssd's are so fast you don't necessarily need separate sample and recording drives. You can still go old school with external ssd's for samples and recording.

You're also going to need an iLok 2 or 3 to use current PT versions.

A new monitor is also in your future. Essentially nothing from your old system will be usable. Better to recycle it and buy all new. And don't forget your old plugins may not work in the current PT. RTAS has gone away and it's all aax64 now.

QAPLA!