View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 11:00 PM

Unhappy Pro Tools MIDI Editor: is it me or is it really that bad??

Hi, this is my first post. I'm new both to the Mbox 3 Pro and Pro Tool 9(.0.5), which I have been intensively using for about two months now.

I've seen this bald guy videos on YouTube explaining how way advanced the MIDI Editor is in Pro Tools 8 (part 1 and part 2), hi's kind of cool and so it seems the MIDI Editor... but it isn't! (he is cool, but the editor is crap).

At first I thought that I screwed some setting because I couldn't believe the MIDI thing sucked so bad. So I deleted my Avid/DigiDesign files on C:\Users\ME\AppData\Local\Avid to have a clean install, I reviewed the Pro Tools Reference Guide to find out some clue, tried switching on/off things like Mirrored MIDI Editing/Link, Timesline and Edit Selection, Play MIDI Notes when Editing, and so on to no avail.

I can hardly trim a MIDI note when there is some automation (say, modulation wheel) on it, it takes about 30 seconds of keeping pressed the left button of the mouse... no kidding, a-single-note. When editing a few MIDI tracks, switching from one instrument to another takes about 10 seconds, either using the tracks menu or by just clicking on a different instrument on the editor itself; and I'm not talking about a 70-orchestra, right now I'm experiencing this with 6 MIDI tracks.

I already developed a methodology -- fine, enter notes first and leave automation for the end... but then, keeping arranging after I've automated some lanes (music production is a work in constant progress right?) is a pain. And how about if I did want to orchestrate a 70-piece movement anyway? In Pro Tools? With this MIDI Editor?? I'd rather throw both the Mbox and Pro Tools boxes out of the window and save myself some headaches, should I?

Okay, you probably see my frustration by now. My computer is more than fine, shouldn't be the problem (editing audio not MIDI is a flawless). Am I missing something or is this thing really this bad? Anyone else?