View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 02:49 PM

Default Re: 24 or 32 bit float

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
...Its main advantage is that it doesn't need to be dithered after each digital process...
Actually it does need to be dithered but I'm told it's difficult and exactly how that math works is way beyond my pay grade.

The way I think of it is audio written full scale 23 bit with a gain control that can be adjusted after the fact. This allows you in some, but not all, cases to perform signal processing that results in numbers that exceed full scale while retaining the ability to reduce the level after the fact back to where it won't clip a converter. Digital audio emerges from an A to D converter chip dithered to a 24 bit stream. There's no reason to record more than that. Once you start crunching numbers, you then need to worry about both dither and clipping. Using 32 bit float can certainly speed up a work flow but it isn't the magical solution lots of people seem to think it is.

In the earliest days of the internet we had some of the most knowledgeable engineers in the world posting to usenet about the technology. I only learned enough to be dangerous but thankfully some of us who were curious did get to learn quite a bit during the late 1980s.