View Single Post
Old 01-29-2020, 02:30 AM

Default Re: Is the current Macbook Air acceptable as a B machine for Protools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonetl View Post
Hey folks, I am thinking about replacing my 15.4" macbook pro with a new lighter more compact computer. That said let me preface by saying my main protools system is a mac pro 6 core w 64gb ram and 1TB ssd. This system would be more for when I travel or just want to play with mixes and ideas away from my main rig. There is probably a 13.3 refresh coming but I am enamored with the idea of a super light system. The big caveat of the air is the limited TB ports but honestly I think two is enough though the ilok may be an issue. I have a quad apollo twin that I travel with so dsp is not really an issue for me most cases. If I got a 16gb with a 512 it would probably be fine but I am wondering is it worth it to up it and go for a macbook pro 13.3? I think that with a new one coming the current ones should drop dramatically in price but that is not my primary concern. Size is so 16" is not really what I am after. All thoughts and musings are appreciated. Peter
The macbook pro 13" is only a few hundred grams heavier.. I checked this out myself yesterday for my niece for school, as she wanted the macbook air specifically for the weight.. But I told her the 2 ports with one of them used for charging would be an obstacle. Of course you can always get a hyperdrive 8-1 or something to add more ports.. but, even the very top Air is only a dual core.. I honestly would spend the bit extra to get the quad core, 4 TB3 port 13" model.
One thing of note, the Air has the classic function key layout where as the 13" has the touchbar, so if you hate the touch bar that might be a determining factor for you. I do believe the 13" will eventually get the redesigned thermals and physical escape key, but that could be a year away.

Still, for basic mucking about duties as you seem to be describing it, the air would be OK I guess.

I am going to say something maybe unpopular.. did you ever think of perhaps a razer 13" instead and use windows for your on the go stuff? Projects are fully compatible between the two and you'll get a lot more computer for the same money as the Air. (PS if you go the windows route do not go Dell, they all suffer shocking DPC latency, just a warning on that one).