View Single Post
Old 05-20-2020, 04:34 PM

Default Replacing Macbook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Second that. I know so many who are struggling with 16GB or even 32GB memory right now and the situation is not going to be easier few years to come. So really think twice what your priorities are, for now I am thinking computer with less than 64GB memory is not worth it even if it was free.

Sorry, but that is a ridiculous statement.

I can run PT 2019.5 on an old 2011 MBP with 8GB RAM. 32 tracks with a handful of plugins and it works fine.

Comments like the above need to be taken with a pinch of salt. You cannot make blanket statements like that without disclosing the types of projects you’re working on.

If you’re not using any sample based VIs or caching extremely large projects into RAM, there’s literally no way in the world you’re going to use 16GB RAM let alone 64GB RAM. One could argue that using disk cache isn’t even necessary in this day and age with the speed of disk drives.

Yes, more RAM is always better, but to say you wouldn’t touch a system without 64GB minimum is just crazy unless you specify what exactly you’d need that amount of RAM for. Are you running 50 Kontakt instances? Are you running 20 other applications at the same time?

People should open Activity Monitor and actually see what their Mac is utilising RAM wise. It’s all well and good to plan ahead for the future, especially in the world of soldered in RAM, but something like a Mini or iMac 27” where RAM can be upgraded after the fact, the money might be better spent on something else if you’re strapped for cash and really don’t need the memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sardi; 05-20-2020 at 05:58 PM.