View Single Post
Old 10-30-2016, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Time sensitive if anyone has a moment and can help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhatley View Post
Hi Tom,

What I do like is that Premiere has moved forward from the early days. Many editors moved to Premiere after FCPX first came out, and we began receiving more AAFs from Premiere (as well as Avid Media Composer), which rarely worked correctly in the beginning.

The problem we have encountered most recently with Premiere AAFs in Pro Tools is that the Premiere export changes the audio clip filenames - I don't remember exactly at this moment, but I believe the names were all based on the first video clip's name.

For most projects, this perhaps obviously made organizing extremely difficult.

What version of Premiere Pro are you using, and have you heard this complaint at all? I'd be very interested if there has been an update that addresses this particular issue. It would make a big difference.

I always use the latest version of Premiere Pro, it's mostly taking XMLs from other software and I export the AAF myself. If the editor is using PPro themselves, I guide them through the process. Might be an extra bit of time compared to letting the editor do it, but I always find it worthwhile as it saves problems further down the line, and I charge this to the client, which ultimately saves them money too. I've heard all the arguments saying this is the editors job, not ours, but ultimately if I understand it better than the editor, I am happy to charge for this!

Back in the CS6 days there were lots of problems, since CC 2014 or so though it's been fine. I have noticed the file names being changed, but honestly it doesn't bother me. Having the metadata (namely timecode) from the original location audio is the real benefit of AAF over OMF, so any other niggles are worth ignoring for me. That said I mainly work on short-form content which makes this more manageable.