View Single Post
Old 07-08-2014, 06:20 AM

Default Re: BEST SSDs for use in Pro Tools ? - New Samsung 850 Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
The 1TB Lacie is a dual 512 GB SSD system, which you should use as two separate drives. If you samples could fit on 512 GB and you could live with 512 GB of audio drive I would just do that.

If the Lacie is too expensive then you can go for the Sonnet dock and drop two SSDs into that.

By system, integrator I mean exactly that, you are putting together all this stuff and need to be technical enough to do that, debug problems etc. If you don't want to do that, then the Lacie is even more attractive.
Thanks again Darryl ,

So Im digging the idea of that the Lacie little big disc. Although my V.I samples alone are 500 GB.

The other 500 GB pcie should be plenty for my pro tools projects , with the use of various back up drives.

RE ; working with Video......, As I have not done any video work , and at this stage I do not plan on starting any either ...., so therefore I was just wondering as impressive as the Lacie little big disc is - if its could be in anyway "overkill" for just audio use in pro tools or not ?

...., meaning will those super high speeds that the LLBD is capable of be utilized enough to justify the cost ?

- If the answer is yes - the speed will be utilized and make everything run better , than IMHO its worth it .

...., in the end Id just like to make pro tools run natively in the NMP as best as it can (as I have too much invested already in native plugs), and be as stable as it can with the minimum of errors.

My location is making things difficult , and even buying the NMP ,

I am hoping to buy the 4 core NMP from the US (via an Indonesian Authorised Apple re-seller) ..., and have it sent to OWC for upgrading to 8 core (@ 3.3ghz) with more ram (either 32 or 64 bit)

....., but ATM im waiting for a reply from the local authorized apple re seller if they can organize it or not (with OWC)

http://blog.macsales.com/23567-owc-i...e-mac-pro-2013

I like this option as ,due to the price of upgrades being much cheaper from OWC than Apple (and better specs)

...., as they will get the mac back into Indonesia and pay the proper import tax required without being scammed by customs like I would trying to do it alone .

My easier alternative is to just order a 6 core NMP locally from the reseller ( but in indoesia the resellers will source the NMP from singapore , where they have the same 220 volt power plug as here in indonesia)

...., but if I took that option .., then Id like a 500 gb or 1 TB pcie installed as the factory 250 GB is too small for my needs, & so is the factory 12 GB of ram. This id be hoping these could be upgraded (in singapore) like they are in the US etc .

FYI - I was planning on the 8 core @ 3.3Ghz upgrade from OWC ..., instead of just buying a standard apple factory 6 core @ 3.6Ghz - with the intentions/ hope that Ive no shortage of CPU power to load up as many plugs as my hearts desire (so to speak), and never again be super annoyingly restricted as I am now

- Once I have the NMP , I dont think I will be going over 50 tracks max either on my largest sized projects ..., I also use lots of V.Is / midi tracks in my projects .

cheers