View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 07:48 AM

Default Re: Win XP: BIOS disabling or Device Manager disabling ??

Quote:
Another Win XP question...

MyComputer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Performance settings...

On the "Advanced" screen in section "Virtual memory" press "Change" button

Should every Drive have a Paging File Size or is it only the system drive C:\ that need a Paging File Size ?

(I can see that I have no Paging File Size for my external maxtor E:\ drive)

Opinions vary on this....But you only need one paging file. It should be located on your main system drive and should be twice the size of your installed RAM. E.G if you have 2 GB RAM that the Paging file sould be 4GB.

It supposedly frees up some resources to change the Page File from System Managed to Custom Sized. In the example above it would read Custom Size an have 2096 in the minimun size box and maximun size box would have 4092. I'M fairly sure that with todays processers/RAM quantitys that you can safely leave it at System Managed as long as you have 2GB or more of RAM. Your external drive/any other drives shouldn't need a paging file at all.

The argument can be made that the best place for the Paging file is on the outer edge of the fastest HDD in the computer. While thats true I don't think that Windows/PT is using the Page File any were near as much as it did in the "Good old days" and that keeping it simple has its advantages.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88