Thread: Drum Overheads
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2016, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Drum Overheads

My 2 cents(all replies here will be based on opinion).
B52 on kick is okay, but the Audix D6 and Telefunken M82 are a lot better
SM57 on snare, hard to go wrong with that(maybe add an under-snare mic)
SM57's on toms, not great at all. Sennheiser 421's are a great choice(but expensive). Alternatives that I love are Audix D6(rack toms) and Miktek PM11(floor toms)
Overheads; I think most any condenser will be a step up(the Rode's would be my choice of those you listed. I use Miktek C-1's here), BUT(great big BUT) the ceiling is a huge factor. If it is a hard surface(like painted drywall) you should try 2 options. #1-with small condenser mics, aim them at the ceiling, around 45 degrees and get the capsule as close to the ceiling as you can without actually touching it(this will act much like the PZM, but with better sound). I know many will roll their eyes at this, but it works quite well. #2-suspend a cloud to dampen the reflections from the ceiling into the backs of the mics.

More recommendations: 1-more corner treatment(fill the corner top to bottom, and treat the "corners" where the wall meets the ceiling)
2-turn the kit so it faces out from the corner(IOW, place it in the "VEE" of the corner). Right now, you have a serious acoustic imbalance between left and right

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave