View Single Post
Old 09-23-2018, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Pro Control w/ Pro Tools 10 or w/ V-Control Pro and Pro Tools 11 12 2018

IMHO you are asking the wrong question.

With Pro Tools 10 you get full ProControl functionality, with V-Control Pro your ProControl turns into a standard HUI-compatible controller just like all other HUI-compatible controllers.

Everyone will like a ProControl with Pro Tools 10 much more then a more or less crippled ProControl with Pro Tools 11, 12, 2018 and V-Control Pro, that’s just how it is.

I think the main question is: do you want to continue using Pro Tools 10 with all its restrictions as 32 bit app and be stuck in time with TDM, RTAS and AAX 32 plug-ins or do you want to use the later 64 bit versions of Pro Tools and be able to use all recent software and AAX 64 plug-ins?

If you choose to move on from Pro Tools 10 and start using a 64 bit version of Pro Tools: since a few months you can also start asking the question if you also would like to continue using your ProControl with standard HUI functionality. Because until a few months ago there simply was no choice to be made at all, keep using your ProControl was equal to being stuck in time forever with Pro Tools 10.

But today you have a choice that can be made thanks to V-Control Pro and Paul Neyrinck. A ProControl works very well with V-Control Pro and Pro Tools 11, 12 and 2018 but only within the limitations of the HUI protocol.

If you are OK with those limitations then I suppose you could continue using your ProControl with V-Control Pro for many years to come.

Mac Pro 2019 - 3.2GHz 16-core - 96GB RAM - macOS 14.4.1 - PT HDX3 - Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3.1 - Avid HD I/O 16x16 (x2) - Avid HD I/O 16x16 Digital - Digidesign 192 I/O - Digidesign 192D I/O (x3) - Avid SYNC HD - Apogee Big Ben - Apogee Rosetta 200 - Avid S3 - Slate RAVEN MTi2 (x2) - iConnectivity mioXL (x4) - Genelec ‘The Ones’ 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos Music monitoring (AES/EBU) with 8341A (x5) + 8331A (x10) + 7360A (x2) + 9301B - Almost all available AAX-DSP plug-ins