Thread: Master Engineer
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2004, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Master Engineer

Well, it really depends on what you are looking to do exactly.... You can get the guy that runs a home studio to do it for dirt cheap, you can get the guy that has a mid-size place to do it for a reasonable fee, or you can take it to a mastering house and have the hard core guys do it to it for you.

1. With mastering you really want to get someone that knows what they are doing and can make your songs sound the way you want them to sound. For example, look around and request a couple reference cd's from places that have done some of your fav. artists or something for starters if you are serious about it and see which one you like best.

2. You get what you pay for. I could reccomend you guys that will do your entire album for $200, and if that is your budget for an album that is great, but you are going to get a $200 sound as opposed to a $10,000 plus sound basically most of the time. Mind you there are some amazing engineers out there that I have seen for cheap, but it is far and few between in those situations.

3. Check out studiofinder.com and see if there are studios in your area that could help you out. Usually its a good thing to meet with someone and see if they meet your vision of how the album/song should sound before you select them to hire them for the job.

Last but not least, if you find someone to do your song that is a bit more expensive and you can't afford it right now, either see if you can bargain with them or wait it out til you have the cash. You will be much more satisfied with your music in the long run if you get the "right engineer" instead of the quickest and cheapest... trust me. Goodluck