View Single Post
Old 07-24-2007, 07:23 AM

Default Re: Time Stretching/Pitch Shifting/Auto-tuning, etc.

Hi Rob,

I can help you a bit. I have a ton of experience with AutoTune and Serato Pitch. I also have many associates who swear by Melodyne, although personally, I don't wish to use a tool that can't be used inside the shell of Pro Tools. This is about the only thing that has kept me from trying Melodyne for now. However, I have friends who swear by it. Autotune has a couple of weird bugs in it right now, but I can get it to work fantastic in graphic mode. It takes some getting used to, but I think that is probably the case with any pitch correction plug-in. Melodyne is supposed to be the "all in one" method for pitch correction and TCE, but I get great results with Serato Pitch. Plus it works great as a TCE smart tool inside Pro Tools. I find that it has one of the best sounding TCEs and it has the fewest artifacts if you use intelligently.

You should still get some feedback from Melodyne users, and from users of the other products you mentioned. I do know that I've been able to use the two I've outlined for you with stellar results. I am an old dog when it comes to getting or trying other products right now, as I own WAY too many plug-ins. I would certainly encourage you to try AutoTune TDM, Serato Pitch, and Melodyne (they have a free download) and find out which ones work best for you.

Don't just go by what one person tells you. Try them yourself and get some opinions from a couple of people you really trust. Talk to people who know how you like to work, or find a couple people on the DUC who you feel the same way about. You can achieve this by reading a bunch of different posts and you'll quickly discover which people you agree with or who's opinions you share. There's never any one proper solution, and what's most important, is what solution works best for you and your work habits. Hope this helps some.

Scott Goldberg