View Single Post
Old 08-10-2019, 11:05 AM

Default Re: NVMe upgrade for Mac Pro 4.1/5.1 Mojave

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
I believe the small fan he is talking about is the one mounted on the Crest Card itself (see ghostwriters post #178, the picture on right shows the fan)

I now have all 4 PCIe slots filled and I would guess the answer is yes, there is more heat generated, because as I mentioned there now seems to be more (slightly louder) and constant fan noise coming from my machine. Such that because I am in a one room situation. I will now have to address that noise while trying to record more so than before (It's always somthin' )
One of the questions is is the extra heat being generated beyond what the Mac's cooling system can handle? I understand there's extra heat but is it all that much to be worried about? I get the fans may be running a bit faster but again - are things within what's considered normal operating specs? I'd say get iStat Pro (I think it's a pay-for now) and see what it's saying for your internal temps.

The extra noise you're hearing - is it at the pitch the fans are running at or is it more of a rumble aka case resonance? A long time ago in another universe I worked for a company that made cooling equipment (fans, air conditioners, etc.) for electronics and racks. Sometimes a customer would say there's a problem with an assembly (noisy) and we'd get it in and power it up and everything was okay. Turns out in a lot of cases it was resonance within the rack and the way the cooling assembly was mounted. Try this if you can: if your cheesegrater is sitting on a hard surface place it on some kind of isolation material like you would put under a monitor speaker and see if the sound diminishes.

QAPLA!