View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Questions about ProTools and film scoring

Quote:
My question is, how does Pro Tools handle film scoring? Are there good tool sets for that kind of work? What is your feeling on Pro Tools versus Cubase?
I prefer logic for scoring, but I also have a huge midi template and several networked computers to host my virtual orchestra. If you are totally new to DAW's I'd recommend learning pro tools simply because it has much better documentation than logic. I also think the pro tools is a much better choice for a general purpose DAW. Logic has more midi features and a few other cool tricks, but pro tools has a much better mixer and is much easier to edit audio with. I personally sequence all of my midi in Logic, and do all of my editing and mixing in pro tools, but you can sequence in pro tools just as easily.

Quote:
Finally, what version of Pro Tools do you recommend for this work and is there any hardware I should also consider.
You need to buy digidesign or m-audio hardware in order to run pro tools, the program will not run by itself. I would recommend starting out with one of their simple interfaces like the mbox until you're comfortable with the software. Pro Tools gear holds its value pretty well so when you outgrow it you should be able to re-sell it for a decent amount.

One of the other things you'll need is a decent library of virtual instruments. Both Logic and Pro Tools come with a pretty decent amount of stuff out of the box, though if you are trying to do an orchestral score you're probably going to need to buy more instruments. I'm not sure what(if any) instruments come with cubase, I only have experience with Logic and PT so I can't make a fair comparison with any other DAWs.

I would suggest you start with a simple pro tools setup like the mbox 2 mini and learn the software first, otherwise you'll end up buying a lot of stuff you may not need.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?