View Single Post
Old 12-21-2007, 07:13 PM

Default Re: Digidelivery vs ?

DigiDelivery is no longer controlled by Digidesign. If there is a bug with DigiDelivery, you would have to report it to the company that now owns the intellectual property that is DigiDelivery and hope they fix it.

It's faster? That's debatable in my opinion. One thing I have always noticed is the time estimate for downloading is not accurate. I did get an explanation for this, but the estimate really should be closer to what it will be.

It's more secure. Well, that is hard to argue against. If you run a secure FTP server, forcing strong passwords, using a certificate authority (verisign) to verify the server identity, etc, you can raise the security. It is true though that the security of DigiDelivery is more transparent than an FTP server.

It's a separate program. Some people are unable, or unwilling, to install software to retrieve files. Pro Tools users such as ourselves may be fine with it. If you were going to use DigiDelivery as a way of replacing an FTP server when working with clients who have no idea what Pro Tools is, I think its a hard sell. If it all worked in a web browser, it would be great. It doesn't, and that is its biggest downfall in my opinion.

An FTP server is cheaper (last I checked). Even a crusty G3, like the one I am using to type this message, with a copy of Tiger (server or not) can be used as an FTP server. DigiDelivery used to cost as much as a brand new computer, which also does so much more.