View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 02:24 AM

Default Re: PT12: Can I store sessions on Hard Drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo71 View Post
I know it's been an issue before that you want to store your session files on an external device. I'm shopping for a Windows laptop and was wondering if I can store my sessions on the hard drive in Windows 12? And is it something AVID doesn't recommend?
That recommendation from Avid is like how old? Decades or what? What has been the average drive speed back then?
Modern drives, especially SSDs, are so fast that you don't have to care where to put your files. Plus, modern DAWs (even PT!) are pre-caching audio files to prevent over-excessive drive-accesses.

And I personally don't like to have drives and other stuff dangling off the sides of a laptop. A nice big single internal SSD is all I would want in a laptop (OK, there are no big SSDs on the market, but you get the point).

Some math:
24 Bit audio at 44.1KHz sample rate leads to a data rate of 132300 bytes/second per track to be read from the disk (44100*3 coz 24 bits=3 bytes). 100 tracks add up to 12 MB/second.

A modern spinning drive can read about 100 MB/second and even the cheapest SSD can read about 400 MB/s. More than enough headroom, IMO.