View Single Post
Old 03-01-2018, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Errors and hyperthreading

Quote:
Originally Posted by bom619 View Post
I have been plagued by work stopping 6101 errors since the update. Cant even play through song without it stopping dead! Opened a support ticket but nothing Avid suggested helped at all. Someone on Gearsltuz mentioned something about hyperthreading so I did some digging.

Test session was 24 tracks (from analog tape) at 88.2k buffer set at 64 samples. 120 instances of mono D-Verb. Im using https://www.whatroute.net/cpusetter.html to turn off hyperthreading. Will now cruise all day long at 80%+ without stopping. With hyperthreading enabled, I cant even put it into record without redlining. Distribution on processors changes dramatically between playback and record but at least its usable. Sorry about the extra text box.

Saw no performance difference with the new "Parallel task optimization" option high/off.

Mac OSX 10.13.3, Pro Tools HD 2018.1, Mac Pro 5,1 2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1333 ram, all OWC SSD drives, Orion 32, ATC SCM300a

Update: Yes... Pro Tools HD (not vanilla). Session stopping DSP surges only occur once an hour now which is very manageable compared to performance before disabling hyperthreading.

The 6101 errors you're talking about must be related to or even caused by the same resource allocation issue ProTools has had since Avid released the first 64-bit version about 5 years ago, v11.0). For many of us, they show up as -917X errors where "X" is usually 1, 2 or 3 which halt recording or playback instantly. In my case, my 12-core i7 cheese grader running current everything won't run a two track session with three plugins AT ALL with a 128 buffer size and barely runs it for a second or two at a 256 sample setting. Oddly, during the nearly 5 years I've been trying to work this problem with Avid, hyper threading has never even been suggested as being related to the issue.

But I tried this, turned off hyper threading (so running 12-cores rather than the virtual 24 I get with HT) and the problem is DRASTICALLY reduced!! Obviously I paid a lot of money for 24 virtual cores which work fine with every OTHER program on Earth so this is hardly an acceptable solution, BUT, it's a GIANT clue as to what the problem is!! Also, a temporary workaround. Thanks very much for this post!!