View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Converting VHS to Digital format

What equipment do you have? Or have access to?
The following has been my preferred method for many years. I have always had the equipment but the decks and cables should be fairly easy to rent.
Connect a VHS or (SVHS) deck to a DV or DVCAM deck (Sonys are my DV decks by choice) and make DV copies of the originals. DV copies are the best analog to digital conversions from VHS that I have found over the years. For the most part they provide the recorded signal with a new stable sync track and record a (new) timecode track. (a great help if you plan to edit them at any time)
I then capture the DV tapes into a computer ideally from a DV deck with an Serial Digital (SDI) output at Standard Definition. To stay digital I use a cheap connector will change the SDI connection to HDMI connector. Then inexpensive video cards like Blackmagic's Intensity Pro 4K used to capture via the cards HDMI input. (Most video IO's that you may already have connected to Pro Tools machines for monitoring video would achieve this.)

I capture to the computer at standard def. Why? Almost all home TVs have better display upscaling from SD to HD than can be achieved with affordable SD to HD codecs. Normal TV's can be set to display the correct original VHS's 4:3 display aspect ratios. (4 by 3 or 16 by 9)

Andrew