View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 09:01 AM

Default Re: Recording multiple midi drum channels to multiple audio tracks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
More info will get better advice. For instance, ezdrummer and SD2 have a mixer where you can assign each sound to its own path. Then you can add either AUX tracks or audio tracks with the inputs set to those same paths so you can either record the drum sounds to their own tracks, or just split them out to AUX tracks, which will allow you to do all the same treatment(as if they were audio tracks). I use audio tracks when I want to commit the drum tracks for archival(in case midi or the plugin is not available at some future time), but for general mixing, using AUX tracks works fine. Keep in mind that these 2 plugins(others may be different) seem to default to stereo paths, so I use stereo tracks as a rule(but you can use the plugin mixer PAN function to send a sound as mono and feed mono audio or aux tracks). I know this complicated, but its really not. Again, what drum source may steer you a bit different.
Thanks Albee, it's a home recording using BFD 2 whose MIDI I need to record to audio to take into a proper studio. From your advice, then, I definitely need Audio tracks, and to look at it from the BFD side, rather than the Pro Tools side, but I could have sworn I once came across a reference to Pro Tools being able to automatically split MIDI channels out to separate audio tracks which was a lot simpler. Anyway, thanks very much for your time and advice.

Last edited by ewan.mcghee; 07-12-2011 at 09:02 AM. Reason: typo