View Single Post
Old 08-24-2019, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Daisychaining Firewire and TB3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesleonard View Post
/snip/
Never done this kind of set-up before, but considering the X5 has extremely fast data speeds, I thought now would be a good time to implement this configuration. (Not sure what the speed of the internal iMac 1TB SSD flash storage is?)
/snip/
The X5 SSD internally is an PCIe 3 x 4 lane interface that uses NVMe, connects via Thunderbolt 3 (which basically directly gives you remote PCIe 3 x 4 lane). Any modern iMac internal SSD is also a PCIe 3 x 4 lane SSD that uses NVMe, connected directly to the processor's PCIe lanes. Performance is going to be in the same ballpark as the X5, I'd hope better with long term sustained I/O performance if only because Apple should have gotten active thermal cooling better on the internal drive than Samsung can do on a sealed brick.

Like Jack, I'm questioning why you are trying to do this. A huge disadvantage in operating off an external USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 drive is it is easy to have a bad day by accidentally disconnecting the drive.... my main complaint with the X5... which is otherwise a great drive. Why not run everything on the internal SSD? And use external drives for backup only.