View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 12:30 PM

Default Re: OK, so here's a serious question for Avid regarding "openness"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidEditor View Post
But products reach end of life. As we know, it's just business.
The problem is that as of right now, the 11R is not at end of life. The package has just been upgraded from including PT8LE to PT9 (with the free upgrade to PT10). The hardware is identical, but now those of us who bought our 11R a year ago are expected to pony up $500 just to be able to continue running it on a current OS. I can only speak for myself, but I'd guess that a large portion of people wanting a stand alone editor want it so as not to have to pay the upgrade fee. If the priced the upgrade at something more reasonable (such as what their competitors are charging) I'd expect you wouldn't hear nearly as much complaining about it. Sure, a stand alone editor would be more convenient than launching ProTools to tweak things but I'd do it if the upgrade was $99 or even $199. But $500? No freaking way.

I get the vendor lock in strategy and if the price was reasonable, I'd allow myself to be locked into Avid. But now, they are alienating enough people that I am looking elsewhere and will likely be avoiding Avid products in the future. Not a win in any case for Avid. I guess a smaller number of people paying large upgrade fees is more appealing than a larger number paying smaller fees for them.