View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021, 03:42 AM

Default TDM Pcie x Thunderbolt Chassis x OSX x Windows x 4k displays (begging for help!)

Greetings

I am trying to collect some informations before I make my investment, but I am so deeply confused , and still couldn't find a knowledgable person giving me a straight instruction , therefore, I wanted to try my chance as last here on the board.

Well, I was a TDM user for many years at 2000s , but after a point I abandoned due to my applications , but these days I want to get back to the king for tracking .
In this case my problem won't be going back to old Mac Pro and old OSX but just will be just display related. I don't have problem using old systems , but I am aware that I won't be able to use a better, higher resolution display than old Cinema displays or LED display at max .
I cannot look at them anymore after retina , they make my eyes in tears .

Can somebody PLEASE elaborate the following ;

I got informed there and there that one cannot use TDM Pcie cards in a Magma or Sonnet Thunderbolt chassis on OSX system , therefore there is no way to use TDM cards on a 6,1 trashcan Mac Pro for example and you are limited to 5,1 machines (max) . Is this genuinely correct information ?

At the same time , some people stating that TDM PCIe cards in a Thunderbolt chassis will work on Windows system .

And here is my question ,

Can I get a Mac Pro 6,1 , format an SSD drive and instal Windows, and run windows with bootcamp on that 6,1 , and use Sonnet or Magma thunderbolt chassis to connect TDM PCIe cards .
And therefore I can use with LG UltraFine or equivalent display which has USB-C or Thunderbolt connection and plus TDM pcie ?

So with that way, if I need to work with pro tools hd , I can boot 6,1 Mac in windows mode , and if I don't work , I can boot 6,1 with OSX to do daily stuff ?

I will be SO SO SO thankful , if somebody give a straight answer to this .

Apart from that, if somebody have an idea how to instal a better display for a Mac Pro 5,1 , I can also consider this option forgetting about what I wrote above, but I really couldn't find out how .

I really need help about this , and I will feel lucky if somebody was in same situation that could tell me a way .

all the best