View Single Post
Old 12-04-2018, 09:32 PM

Default Re: Disk Cache changes randomly after freeze

Maybe I'm not explaining clearly-
First, I'm looking at the meters because things aren't stable and I'm trying to find a pattern. (there isn't one- sometimes a restart just fixes things for a while and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the same session will play fine, and sometimes it's days full of 9093, 9172 and other gems)
Secondly, I'm explaining that when I open a session and the cache is loaded, let's say 39%- after a few plays, it'll just make its way to 100% without adding ANY new info to session. That's not right and something is getting calculated wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I don't know what other people see, I have such huge cache relative to my usually smallish session sizes I don't see it anywhere near full. And I'm normally not watching meters anyhow.

I suspect it's really hard to see what is going on with the tools given. The % cache occupancy is likely not that useful, you want it to be high so stuff is cached. Stats like the rate of data pages into and out of the cache and similar data would give more useful information for serious debugging... but I expect Avid wants to keep it simple. Along the lines of just letting folks know if the cache fills that it might help to increase the size of buy more DRAM.

BTW this type of thing needlessly worries people with computer memory... noting that say Windows or macOS reports very little free memory... when in reality that's the demand paging system doing what is expected and there might be lots of pages the OS can free at very low cost anytime it needs them. And again other rate based metrics may be more useful.

HD Native * PT 2018.12 * OS X 10.13.6 * MacPro 12 Core * 2.4GHz 24GB Ram * 2XUAD2 Octo * Waves Platinum * Lexicon PCM Native Bundle * Sound Toys Bundle* AutoTune8 * NI Komplete11 * BFD3 * Synthogy Ivory II* Vienna Ensemble Pro * Spectrasonics * Slate trigger2 *xFer records * Softube * Vienna Ensemble * DMG Expurgate * Massey DRT2 *
iPad Air/Avid control * EuCon 18.3.0.217 *